Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Lemon Tree


Just a little sunshine for you winter. My lemon tree is finally in bloom. It started to bud just before Christmas and we thought that we would miss the blossoms, but fortunately lemon trees are extremely slow to bloom. Alan gave me this lemon tree back in March as a late birthday present. I had wanted one ever since seeing that Thomas Jefferson had one at Montpielier. I planned my bedroom decor around the future lemon tree and when it arrived it fit perfectly. On first appearance we were a little worried. The lemon tree appeared like a 1 cm thick stick, about 3 feet tall with 9 smaller sticks sticking out of it, and thorns! It remained this way until about September when it finally sprouted four tiny branches that grew over the next few months and started producing large lovely green leaves. It is an odd looking tree and I had started to believe it would never amount to much, but then it started budding....and oh did it bud. We have tons of buds. Every so often I take my q-tip and play the bee, pollinating from one flower to the next. Our only concern now is how these tiny branches will ever support a lemon. They can barely support a bud. The flowers smell amazing, and we hope they add a little sunshine to your winter. We love you.

3 comments:

Adam & Christy said...

I love how you have a lemon tree! I never knew you wanted one. And I must say this totally brightened my wintery-blah Utah day. SO thanks for that. You'll have to post more pics as it produces lemons. I'm curious to see how it will look then.

lindsey hill said...

Lemon trees make me think of Uncle Elvin and Aunt Susan's house. That is great that you have one as well. Very pleasant on a gloomy winter day.

Matt and Lisa said...

I love the lemon tree! We had one when I was growing up and loved making homemade lemonade. Good memories.