Saturday, October 22, 2011

What Did You Really Learn in Elementary School

Today I was thinking, for some odd reason, about things I remembered learning in school. I am curious to know what you remember learning...or what your most memorable school lessons were. Don't be shy!
I remember...
1) Technical Writing 4th grade: We had to write down how to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich and then the next day the teacher made them just to our specifications...it was hilarious!
2) The Holocaust: The day we learned all about the atrocities of the concentration camps they served hot dogs for school lunch. That seemed so wrong to me at the time.
3)Graphs: They made us graph everyone's height and weight on the board....I weighed the most in my class!

So, what do you remember learning?

3 comments:

Matt and Lisa said...

*I remember learning to square dance in the 6th grade. It was a big deal that we got to pick our own dance partners. Mine was Ricky Branum and I thought he was pretty cute until he shot my weiner dog with a BB gun. She had the BB in her back to prove it.
*I also remember learning about the California missions in 4th grade state history. I was proud of my replication of the Santa Barbara mission that my dad helped me make out of plaster of paris.

Adam & Christy said...

This stuff is seriously comical.

Well, let's see. In first grade I learned that it was okay to be friends with someone that is Catholic. There was a boy in my class who was a Catholic and when he asked me to play with him at recess I responded with "I can't because you're Catholic" He went in crying and my teacher explained to me that it was okay to be his friend. I don't even know how I knew at that age his religious preference.

In third grade I learned that drawing on my face with white crayon does not make you pale so you can go home sick. Instead, if you do it hard enough, it can leave uncomfortable red marks. I can still remember my teacher trying not to laugh.

So, I didn't really learn anything per say. It's amazing I made it through college.

Adam & Christy said...

Oh wait....I do remember actually learning something.

In third grade, my teacher taught us North,East, South, West with "Never Eat Soggy Waffles". I still use that today when I'm trying to figure out a direction. Yay! I learned something ;)