Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Krispy Kreme Challenge

Well, this year I decided to only do attainable resolutions, so I have vowed to post on this blogsite at least once a year! And this is it...mission accomplished. That was so much less stressful than last year. No, really I love to post, I just don't get around to it. It always seems that I am ready to post, but my pictures are elsewhere. But tonight my pictures and I are all together.


This year Alan and I sat down for FHE and made real new year's resolutions and it has been great. I tried to make them achievable but not too easy. One of my resolutions was to run 2 5-K races this year. I am no runner, especially not in the last 4 yrs, but I thought that this would be fun and challenging...and get me two new t-shirts. So, I ran my first 5-K last Saturday (It was actually 4 miles, but can I be penalized for additional distance?)


So, the Krispy Kreme Challenge originated 5 years ago in Raleigh NC. The goal is to run 2 miles from the center of NC State campus in Raleigh to the Krispy Kreme doughnut shop, eat a dozen donuts and run back. How could I pass up an opportunity like that? 1) I love doughnuts, 2) It fulfilled 1/2 of my resolution 3) I got a free shirt 4) I talked lots of others into participating with me. 5) It meant I could count it as my "exercise" for the week 6) It counted toward our Relief Society's "Biggest Loser" contest. 7) You get to see a lot of crazy people eating and running and vomiting and having a great time! 8) Did I mention the doughnuts.


So, Alan and I decided to run. Unfortunately, the penny pincher's that we are, we did not want to register online because they charged you a 6% fee to register online. So, I decided to go in early and register in person. Well, everyone else I talked into running registered online, and by Thursday morning they had reached their cap! So, my last ditch effort was to drive into early packet pick-up in Raleigh on Friday and see if they would let me register in person...alas they would not. It was full. So I gave up my dream of being a 2009 Krispy Kreme runner.


But, Friday night I could not sleep thinking of all the great times I was going to miss. So, Saturday, I called our friends that were running and decided to run under the radar...without registering, and am I ever glad I did. I did not realize though how far 4 miles really is (no laughing) I ran as steady as I could to the doughnut shop (far behind my friends) and then I just made my way through the throngs of doughnut eaters thinking to myself...if I even took a bite of that I would never make it back to the finish line. So, after seeing my share of people shoving doughnuts into themselves, I ran back. I came in in under an hour...which was the time limit if you wanted to be a "competitive runner". Competitive meaning you ate all 12 doughnuts and ran the 4 miles in under 1 hour. However, I did not eat a single doughnut on my run. Lucky for me, my friend Steve only was able to eat 4 of his doughnuts and so he let me pose with his box and enjoy his leftovers. What a great way to start a Saturday. You should all put in on the calendar for next year!