Friday, February 4, 2011

DNA (Dire Need of Action)!!

Have you ever felt like your life is ordinarily mundane? Like the constant commitment of the same nothings is becoming a little bit overwhelming? I know I have, in fact, that is about exactly how I am feeling right now.
From a spectators point of view I am sure my life seems pretty busy. I never seem to be home anymore, at least with time enough to enjoy it. Usually it is long enough to eat dinner and get a meager nights rest. The other hours seem to be absorbed into this monotonous mixture of school, studying for school, practicing for some musical group, leaning over picked apart cadavers, and extracting DNA in a sterile lab room; the latter of which I am doing right now. As I sit here waiting for my DNA sample to separate in the PCR machine, allowing time for my enzyme to reattach to one strand of the DNA and copy it 2^40 number of times, I realize that I need more DNA in my life (and I am not talking about Genetics either). I do not need any more Deoxyribonucleic Acid in my life, in fact I feel I need the exact opposite, I NEED DNA: Dire Need of Action! My life is predictable, I need something exciting, something to shake things up. I spend all my time studying anatomy and mixing chemicals, and frankly not enough of it with friends, at parties, enjoying my youth. Aren't these supposed to be the years when I am free? Nothing to hold me down or tie me back? It seems so short a time before I could be dead...or married, and then the only parties we will be having is dinner parties. Then it hits me, and instantly I remember why I don't hang out with my friends! I remember why I don't go to parties! All of my college buddies are in Ogden, all of my high school buddies are in even further than that, if not married, and the only parties they are having are dinner parties! Then there is the issue of money, and now I remember why I don't have any time. Because I spend all the time I could have at work, getting money, for school, giving me less time to work, giving me less money, and all of this in order that I can get out of school, and into real work. You know, it gets harder and harder for me to enjoy stuff in the moment, when every moment I have is spent preparing to enjoy stuff later!
Well, my PCR machine is beeping at me, it's time to freeze my DNA and hop on the bus home. 1 hour and 10 minutes later, I will get home, change, and go to choir practice, then come home, eat, and set the "repeat" button for 6:25 tomorrow. DNA!

10 comments:

Angela said...

I love you! A trip to KY would definitely fulfill your DNA desire!

Adam & Christy said...

Chris,
I can totally here the world's smallest violin playing right now. Just kidding! No, not really. YOu need to cheer up. Ditch school for a day and take a drive to Happy Valley to visit your Kara-Bear. Be a little spontaneous for a day. School will be there when you get back. Don't tell your parents I said that. (But I'm sure they'll probably read this :)) We love you!

Adam & Christy said...

Chris,
I can totally here the world's smallest violin playing right now. Just kidding! No, not really. YOu need to cheer up. Ditch school for a day and take a drive to Happy Valley to visit your Kara-Bear. Be a little spontaneous for a day. School will be there when you get back. Don't tell your parents I said that. (But I'm sure they'll probably read this :)) We love you!

Adam & Christy said...

Chris - I guess in your words "Dire Need of Action" is exactly right. Go and see your GIRL FRIEND!
Adam

Adam & Christy said...

Chris,
Not that I haven't commented enough. But I DO know how to spell "hear." I was an English major who has obviously been a stay-at-home mom too long.
Christy

the last comment was Adam...I don't think like that :)

Matt and Lisa said...

Chris--you must be loved: 5 comments in one day must be a record (even if Christy's comment posted twice). I did laugh at Adam's comment because, like Christy, I don't think like that, but Matt totally would have too :). Anyway, I agree with Angela that a trip to Kentucky (or if we are the lucky ones--Texas) would help your spirits. I don't feel too bad because only 2 months until your Europe trip. We here in Texas have been stuck in our house for 4 days!!! Cabin Fever is now at about 106 degrees. Isn't that considered fatal?

Matt and Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt and Lisa said...

Chris,

I thought the same thing as Adam. The ironic thing is didn't you start writing on this thing so your girlfriend would have something to read. She does know that you really don't socialize with the rest of us, right? You might want to change that before she gets a chance to read it, unless that was your true motive.

After you've done it for 13 years feel free to give me a call.

Matt

Alan and Lindz said...

Matt are you sure that is what you meant to say?
Chris, this was really fun to read and made for a lot of great friendly banter! I agree with Christy. Take a day off.

Matt and Lisa said...

Lindsay, I too couldn't figure out what Matt was talking about. I think he meant "school" for 13 years.